Friday, February 12, 2010

Please, take a seat...

Is it just me, or does it seem like the seats on the TTC are getting smaller?  I often stand when I ride the system, just for the sheer fact that I never know "what" has previously sat there or what will be sitting next to me. Mostly it's just silly for me to sit for a short ride that doesn't really require resting my legs.  Anyone who had ever taken a ride on one of the TTC's fine vehicles, at one time or another has encountered the token oddball, who for whatever reason needs to blurt out profanities, or have a scent reminiscent of a restroom you would much rather not mention.  It's for some of these reasons that people (myself included), find themselves standing for the majority of their ride, not only for convenience sake, but one never knows when they may find the need to relocate due to that oddball.  Taking the subway today, and giving in to actually sitting, I found that the seats have actually gotten smaller.  looking around at others who were sitting as well, I found that rubbing elbows and shoulders next to complete strangers, for some, had no effect on their ride whatsoever.

During peak hours, regular riders would become accustomed and almost anticipate having strangers rubbing up against them in all sorts of places whether it was knee on knee contact, the customary stepping on the foot action or even the backpack in the face or back, (all depending of if they were sitting or standing).
Is this something that people should actually anticipate though?  In a society that has become so germaphobic, personal space is key in avoiding any unwanted germs, let alone the opportunity for a casual grope on the way to the back of a streetcar.  Being geared up in winter attire added to my personal puffiness, and I had to remind myself of that as I became increasingly aware of how little space I had during my ride.  It is near impossible to expect comfort when everyone layers like they are on an expedition heading to Antarctica.
I know the seat size hasn't changed and I'm aware that multiple layers don't help to create space, but by increasing the seat size- even by even half an inch,  may be the Pandora's box to eternal happiness on the TTC.  I don't take advantage of the seats as often as most others do, but todays epiphany reinforced why I don't sit that often.  Two years ago I had the opportunity to visit a mock subway train that the TTC opened to the public to gain feedback into what riders could expect in the next version of the train.  Antimicrobial poles, electronic displays in the cars, new safety features as well as a sleek new design with car to car access so passengers can move freely from one end of the subway to the other.  Seat design and colour concepts were still in the early stages and I can only hope that come October when the new subways hit the Yonge University line, my personal space is no longer compromised.

0 comments:

Post a Comment